Waverley, Randwick and Woollahra Councils in Sydney’s Eastern Suburbs are working together to help make people’s homes more energy efficient. They have launched a campaign called the 10% Challenge encouraging residents of East Sydney to reduce their household energy bills by 10 per cent.
All you have to do to take part is register online and then you can utilise their energy bill savings calculator to determine exactly how much you spend each year on your electricity, gas and fuel usage. The calculator makes it clear just how much you could save by reducing these costs by 10%.
The site features a suite of money saving tips to help you find simple ways to make your home more efficient. The tips cover all areas of the home from insulation to lights, to petrol, appliances and heating. Here are few of the most useful energy-saving tips you could use to save money and help the environment:
- Call your energy provider and ask them about whether they offer off-peak and flexible pricing plans, energy monitoring and reporting, or assistance packages to make your home more efficient.
- Use solar, gas or heat pump hot water systems rather than old-fashioned electric systems.
- Switch off appliances at the plug rather than leaving them on standby
- Insulate your roof and cavities to keep out heat in summer and retain warmth in winter
- Install solar panels or solar hot water systems to save money and utilise free energy from the sun. Look into rebates and financial incentives to reduce the cost of switching to this renewable energy source.
- Install skylights and CFL bulbs and use sensor lighting outdoors.
- Choose correctly sized, Energy Star-compliant equipment with the most effective settings.
- When it comes to fuel consumption, easy practices such as avoiding hard accelerating and braking, minimising weight in a car and reducing wind resistance through roof racks or attachments can add up to save you a significant amounts of money.
Waverley Mayor Sally Betts is a strong proponent of the 10% challenge and she believes it is incredibly important for us all to reduce our energy costs and become more efficient recyclers.
“I’m going to sign up for the challenge. I have to make sure I reduce my own use of plastic bags. We need to really look at our recycling. If every single individual just does a tiny bit, it’ll be completely amazing. I’ve just got to recommend to everybody please take the 10 per cent challenge, just reduce your litter or your garbage in your red bin by 10 per cent and it would be amazing!”
Rather than waiting for a council initiative such as this to encourage you to minimise your household energy usage, take the initiative yourself to make a few simple cuts around your home and car. Regardless of where you live, take a look at the 10% challenge tips and start employing them in your home and reduce your environmental impact today!
Clue Design is a Perth-based digital agency providing innovative and intelligent digital solutions in strategy and consultation, creative development, digital marketing and more.